My frist weekend here, I was able to take a day trip outside of Kampala! Since, I don't have a lot of time off, some of the long distance safari trips are to hard to arrange. I decide to head to Jinga with my new friend Janeen.
Jinga is a small colonial town right along the Nile River (2 hours from Kampala). Jinga is also know for its outdoor activites; there are some seriously hardcore adventure trips to take. I wanted to raft down the Nile river, but decided aganist it. I know - I know ...I am a bit lame for not just doing it. However, since I am here for work, I thought staying alive would be a good thing. Basically, you are in a raft hurtling down level 5-6 rapids, with a small saftey boat behind you. I did try and book a less difficult raft trip, but no one was going out on the lower part of the rapids. Many of my colleugue who have tried it really dislike the experince and will never raft again. Also, the Ugandan's think that Muzunguz (white folks) are basically "insane" for attemping to raft the river.
http://www.adrift.ug/
http://www.adrift.ug/
I ended up spending the day seeing lots of Jinga!
It was a great day (even without rafting)
Janeen ended up on a horseback safari that went way into the bush. Unfortnuatley, they had no extra horses to spare - so I couldn't go on the trip. While she rode, I wandered around the property and I trekked through the bush and down to the river.
After the horseback safari, our taxi cab driver/tour guide took us to the Source of the Nile Park. Janeen and I relaxed in the sun and took a boat ride to the "source" of the Nile. We reached a small fishing island and got to enjoy some time looking at the water and our beautiful surroundings.
Did you know the Nile has 5 names?
1) Victoria Nile, 2) Albert Nile, 3) White Nile, 4) Blue Nile and 5) Nile (Egypt)
The source of the whole Nile is Lake Victoria in Uganda - it them meets with the Albert Nile at Lake Albert UG then travels to Sudan where the it becomes the White Nile, the White Nile connects with the Blue Nile in Ehtiopia, once they flow together they become the Nile that empty's in Egypt. It takes 3 months for the water to cylce all the way to Egypt.
Note: Videos may be a bit "Blair Witch" I tend to move the carmera too fast!
Source of the Nile Landing
Nile Boat Ride
Source of the Nile - Swirling water
After the boat ride, we went to shop at the craft stalls. I bought this great picture made out of bannana leaves for 9SH (which is such a deal at $5.50 US) I was so excited! As we were pulling out of the parking lot the guy who sold me the picture chased us down. He saids his boss said I "theived" from them ( basically the price was too low). He up the price to 20SH - so I politiely told him to take his picture in return for my money. He kept trying to get me to buy it back. Finally he gave me my money back - It was all very strange ?!
For the last part of our day, we headed to Bujugali Falls. The falls run along the Nile and are quite beautiful (not typical cataract waterfalls - like in Hawaii). The falls are much lower, runs along the banks and the is a lot of much rushing water!
Bujugali Falls
We ended our day by having lunch at the Nile Porch resort. I would have stayed the night there, but they were completely booked. It is a great tented camp style resort, it overlooks the jungle and the Nile. It's situated right next to Bujugail Falls park entrance. All sorts of people enjoy this resort from families to bohemians and hippies. http://www.nileporch.com/
If you ever visit Uganda I'd defintaley reccomend making Jinga one of your stops! It is a wonderful place!
1 comment:
How beautiful! I love river rafting myself, but rafting the Nile (crocodiles??!) is not on my list of things to do. Glad to hear you're packing in your travel too!!
BTW, how do YOU get to work? Do you get embassy drivers daily? They're not swinging that for me, hence Frankenbike!
Post a Comment