I have made it safely to Kampla! I am settling in for my three weeks of work with the local CDC -UG Programme Unit office. I have to say, that this has been one of the easiest trips I have made in a long time. I arrived last Sunday night in Entebbe, and was greeted by Faustin and Jeffery two very freindly gentelmen who work for the US Embassy. I was whisked through customs like a VIP (which was a really good thing, b/c my country clearance for entering UG did not come through in time - per reading the fine print on my papers as I was landing at the airport) After collecting my luggage, I was handed off to a Embassy driver and taken to my hotel the Emin Pasha.
Now, I am not used to stay in "posh" hotels. I am quite happy in basic accommodations. I just about fell on the floor when I got into my room. Mind you, I was extremely tired, so falling on the floor was almost an option. Despite being overly tired, I walked in my small room and there was the room of my dreams. A huge wooden bed with a lovely gauze mosquito net flowing over it, a cozy oversized chair. It was a vision of loveliness!
In the morning, I was greeted by Suzanne a co-worker,who came to pick me up with her CDC driver Stephen. She took me to see her house and for some African chai tea. After tea, we drove to Entebbe to the Ministry of Health (MOH) compound where CDC is located. The drive into Entebbe is an adventure! The traffic is quite bad, with all the private cars, boda-bodas (motorcycle taxis), regular mini-bus taxis and people dodging in between all of the cars. The best anology I can give you is - it's like being in a combination speed racer/dodge ball game. I had to close my eyes, as people and cars almost crash into eachother (I will have another post dedicated to driving in Kampla).
The CDC shares buildings on a Ministry of Health (MOH), on a hill overlooking Entebbe and Lake Victoria. I was amazed by the beautiful view, and the fresh air. After taking in the view, I was introduced to the Programme Unit staff and given a tour and a my office/confrence room with a great garden/lake view! I also had a traditional Ugandan lunch under the mango tree with my new supervisor Charmaine and other CDC staffers.
After lunch, I got started straight away on my project, and almost feel asleep while typing. I have to say that jet leg really took its toll on me.
Overall, I had a great first day!
PS: Due to inernet dial-up connection, posting blogs is not always timely!
5 comments:
Welcome to the blogosphere, Jess! So great to hear that your rotation has started off with a warm blast! Some of your musings are quite familiar to me, particularly the country clearance bit! ;-) Do keep us posted as you can, and visit my side of the blog-o-world when you get a chance! Ciao! xoxo
Sounds like everything is great. So glad you are enjoying yourself. Can't wait to see more pix and hear of more exciting adventures. Love you and miss you, D
Keep up the postings. Love to hear all about your far-away travels way back here on the "left coast".
Pix are fantastic. Keep 'em coming.
x0x0x0x0x0x0
Wow!!! Jessica is on adventure again. Congratulations, Jess, this is something you had dreamt of, persevered, and now you're in the middle of it. You are the perfect person for out-of-country work because you have a natural ability to "fit in" immediately. I recall when you and I first saw the room assigned to me in Guatemala: I was besides myself with shock, but you simply said, "it's not so bad." Go girl ...
Love you and look forward to more stories and pictures. Edda.
Hi Sweet Tea,
I am so glad to hear from you. I am happy your are safe and the living arrangments are awesome! Ethan and Eva say hello. You are missing the Encampment this weekend.I will eat something for you. I am going to share your blog site with the other MMH employee's in our next MMH newsletter.
Luv Marie aka Dodie
Post a Comment